The classic Mini is one of those cars that everyone, car enthusiast or not, appreciates. It was first introduced in 1959 and is arguably the most famous small car in the world. The car came into being because of a fuel shortage in 1956, there was a need for a small economical family car that could get a family of four out and about comfortably with all their luggage and British Motor Corporation (BMC) Stepped up to the plate.
John Cooper spotted the cars potential for competition pretty early on and began to tune them. His joint vision with the cars designer Sir Alec Issigonis lead to the Morris Mini Cooper appearing in 1961 and eventually lead onto the Austin Mini Cooper S being launched in 1963. The Austin Mini Cooper S went on to claim worldwide success in both rallying and racing. It’s biggest success story was at the Monte Carlo Rally in 1964, 1965 and again in 1967
This particular Mini Cooper is a homologation 970 S and has just two previous owners on the log book. It was originally owned by a Peter Swatman from new. Peter was the managing director of SU Carburettors, the company that that had been supplying BMC with their carbs for many years and had been a key component in helping John Copper push the original 997cc Mini engine to its performance of 54bhp
Unfortunately at some stage in its life, the original engine has been replaced with a larga capacity 1071cc S engine so no longer has its much rarer 970cc fitted, but that doesn’t stop it being any less of a lovely example.
The car was in continues use up until the late 1980’s when it was eventually parked up at the Swatman family home until some time in 2010
It was then that the family chose to have the car fully resorted. The work took over two years to complete and has a full documented history folder showing the restoration.
In 2013, the car was sold onto it’s current owner, who has been enjoying it every day since. The fact it is put to good use come rain or shine is testament to the cars build and the restoration work that was carried out.